The European Chemical Regions Network (ECRN) has announced it will form the second regional network under the Pact for Skills as part of the European Year of Skills 2023!
The 'Regional Partnership for Skills in the Chemical Sector' led by the ECRN will support regional private and public partners in the coming years and possibly work as a blueprint for future initiatives. The main ambition of the partnership is to highlight the role of skills, education and training in the green and digital transition of the chemical industry.
More specifically the goals of the partnership are:
- Helping regions to find the best and the most suitable solutions to tackle the challenges linked to skills needed for the green and digital transition of the chemical industry.
- Speed up the identification of the most vulnerable regions and areas of interest by bringing all relevant partners to the table and surveying their needs.
- Facilitating meaningful dialogue between regional administration, social partners, education and training providers, Research & Development institutions and industry.
- Stimulate partners to work on specific tasks and create smaller, targeted working groups that can lead to the concrete project applications of EU-funded projects and/or to the preparation of interregional strategies to tackle common challenges.
- Increase digitalisation of the EU chemical industry for its future competitiveness. Big data can improve manufacturing processes and lower the environmental impact of the sector through a more efficient management of resources, materials, and energy use.
Speaking of the announcement Mr. Stephan Satijn, Limburg's Regional Minister for Economy, Land Management, and Education, explains that ‘I believe that the green and digital transition will require new skills and create innovative jobs. The chemical sector can play a pivotal role in this process of creating these new skill sets and highly innovative jobs. In order to guarantee a successful transition, I want to encourage other regions to join the European Chemical Regions Network and therewith to empower this EU-Partnership. The Pact for Skills offers an incredible amount of opportunities for numerous European regions to up- and reskill employees in the chemical sector, to get advice on relevant funding possibilities, and to represent a kick start for ECRN’s participation in the 2023 Year of Skills.’
- Publication date
- 2 February 2023
- Directorate-General for Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion