- Publication date
- 7 March 2023
- Opening date
- Deadline model
- Deadline date
- 23 March 2023, 17:00 (CET)
- Funding programme
- Level of funding
- EU level
The objective is to build an interdisciplinary and inclusive pan-European academic network for food system science, with the goal of federating research performers including universities, national science academies and research centres, academics and researchers across Europe to work together on sustainable food systems transition by carrying out inter- and transdisciplinary research, developing and applying new methods, models and tools.
Activities related to upskilling and reskilling include:
- Building on the RTD/2020/SC/022 study “Promote education, training and skills across the bioeconomy”, the network will develop open access educational material/curricula to be used by Higher Education Institutes to help strengthen their existing food systems-related teaching and research with an inter- and transdisciplinary systems dimension.
- Support the training, mobility, mutual learning and knowledge sharing amongst researchers (including masters to post-doc levels) and foster open science approaches that also accelerate gender equality, attract young talents, foster inclusiveness and reuse of research knowledge (including the sharing of FAIR and open digital research or educational output). This will also include the organization of a high-level annual summer camp/school providing inter- and transdisciplinary food systems and bioeconomy science training open to youth from all over Europe
Project results are expected to contribute to all of the following expected outcomes:
- Establish a broad pan-European interdisciplinary academic network.
- Foster inter-, transdisciplinary, participatory, policy and regulatory research to develop new insights, findings, models, methods and tools to assess and manage the full systemic complexity of food systems.
Institution providing the funding
Size of funding
€6 000 000
Overview of eligibility criteria
Any legal entity, regardless of its place of establishment, including legal entities from non-associated third countries or international organisations is eligible to participate. Moreover, applicants must be established in one of the following countries:
- EU Member States, including their outermost regions
- Overseas Countries and Territories (OCTs) linked to the Member States
- Countries associated to Horizon Europe
- A list of low and middle-income countries (list available in Work Programme the General Annexes)
Only consortiums are eligible to participate in actions provided that they include, as beneficiaries, three legal entities independent from each other and each established in a different country as follows:
- at least one independent legal entity established in a Member State; and
- at least two other independent legal entities, each established in different Member States or Associated Countries.
Overview of award criteria
The following award criteria are taken into account:
- Excellence (5 points)
- Impact (5 points)
- Quality and efficiency of the implementation (5 points)
The overall threshold, applying to the sum of the three individual scores, will be 10.
All proposals must be submitted electronically via the Funders & Tenders Portal electronic submission system.
The application form will have two parts:
- Part A (to be filled in directly online) contains administrative information about the applicant organisations (future coordinator and beneficiaries and affiliated entities), the summarised budget for the proposal and call-specific questions;
- Part B (to be downloaded from the Portal submission system, completed and then assembled and re-uploaded as a PDF in the system) contains the technical description of the project.
Annexes and supporting documents will be directly available in the submission system and must be uploaded as PDF files (or other formats allowed by the system).
More information is available in the text of the call (see link below)
Application support available
A dedicated FAQ is available on the webpage of the call (see link below).